If you have broken, discoloured, or badly decayed teeth, dental crowns might be the right solution for you! Acora Dental is pleased to offer this restorative dental treatment to restore the function and aesthetics of your damaged teeth, and help you achieve the smile you want!
What is a Dental Crown?
Also referred to as a “cap,” a dental crown is a tooth-shaped cover that goes over, or “caps,” an existing tooth in order to restore its strength, size, and shape, and improve its overall look. Dental crowns are cemented into place and fully encase the entire visible portion of the tooth above the gum line.
Why is a Dental Crown Necessary?
- To restore a broken, chipped, or severely worn-down tooth
- To protect a weak tooth (i.e., from decay) from breaking, or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To restore a previous filling, where there exists more filling than tooth (the existing tooth structure becomes weakened and can no longer support the filling)
- To save a tooth so damaged by decay that it cannot support a filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover severely discoloured, or misshapen teeth, or any tooth with compromised aesthetics
- To cover a dental implant
- To make a cosmetic modification
- To protect the teeth of a child at high risk of tooth decay
- To decrease the frequency of general anesthesia for children unable because of age, behavior, or medical history, to fully cooperate with the requirements of proper dental care.
Getting Fitted for a Dental Crown
Being fitted for a crown usually takes two visits. During the first visit, we will remove any tooth decay, shape the tooth, and then fit it with a temporary crown. On the subsequent visit, we will remove the temporary crown, and then fit and adjust the final/permanent crown. Finally, we will bond the permanent crown into place, and you will have a new and beautiful-looking tooth!